Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Guest Posting: Party Looks

Here's a snippet from a guest post I did last week for Kimberlee over at I Have A Degree In This

...Summer equals cute dress season in my mind. Boston's weather really limits me to jeans, boots, sweaters, and scarves for most of the year, so I take every chance I get during these warm months to sport a short, swingy, patterned, or just plain fun dress.

Because it's been so hot and humid lately, I like to make a statement with the dress as much as I possibly can, and leave the accessorizing and layering to a minimum. This dress is one of my favorite examples. The bright color and detailed neckline don't need much accessorizing at all. I actually wore this to the office one day, but I've also taken it for a spin for social events like a friend's bridal shower two summers ago (yes, this baby is old).



I rounded up some of my favorite types of simple-but-statement-making dresses, mostly drawn from my favorite cheap chic stores (Forever21, Asos, and Dorothy Perkins, which I have yet to buy from but absolutely love to browse).

F21embroiderdress darkmintasos chevrondress
hilowasos bluepattern pinkcolorblock
Clockwise from the top left: OneTwoThreeFourFiveSix

Why six dresses you ask? Well because birthdays should be-week long affairs, and I'm leaving the seventh day up to you to figure out.  (Plus six looked best laid out like this :).) As you can see, I love the shift dress shape! It's simple and sexy and can handle a bold color, pattern, texture, or embellishment. Dresses 2 and 3 have really fabulous low backs and cutouts—a detail that's too risky for the office, but perfect for a celebratory look. I'm also big fan of swingy skirts and fun stripes. I actually have Dress #6 in my closet and am planning on taking it for a birthday spin. I wasn't too sure about the high-low shape that's been big this season, but the stripes come in my favorite colors and the rest of the dress is so cute and classic, I couldn't resist.  

Finish these off with some bright studs or chandeliers (BaubleBar is my favorite source for those), classic espadrilles or peep toe heels, and fun nails (I've been rotating Essie's Turquoise & Caicos, Tart Deco, and Lilacism all summer long). 

11 comments:

  1. Dying over that bottom middle dress... I WANT IT!!! Let's find a reason to rock some saucy low-backed dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a must! I love your use of the word saucy, btw.

      Delete
  2. These all look like graet ideas to me...I love the Dorothy Perkins frock!!!

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That bold blue color is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  3. Love the all the dress, especially the dress number 5.

    Selvia
    xx

    Come and visit our blog
    www.Am2pmchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a popular one around here!

      Delete
  4. Love the mint dress with the back décolleté, gorgeous simplicity! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I haven't been able to get enough of that color this summer. Pretty blog, I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem Kimberlee! Thanks for having me over at your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...